Subject: bug#7383: 24.0.50; end-of-line style on remote files

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 15:47:05 -0300

>> > See the code of `ange-ftp-write-region'. Binary transfer is explicitely
>> > disabled for Emacsen on MS Windows machines, if not said otherwise by
>> > `ange-ftp-binary-file-name-regexp':
>> 
>> > 	       (binary (or (ange-ftp-binary-file filename)
>> > 			   (and (not (memq system-type
>> > 					   '(ms-dos windows-nt)))
>> > 				(memq (ange-ftp-host-type host user)
>> > 				      '(unix dumb-unix)))))
>> 
>> > Similar (but not identical) checks are in `ange-ftp-insert-file-contents'
>> > and `ange-ftp-copy-file-internal'.
>> 
>> I think all this non-binary business in ange-ftp is inherited from
>> pre-Mule issues.  So I'd be tempted to always use binary now.

> Yes, definitely.  The change was made (by one Stefan Monnier) in
> 2001.  I see no reasons to keep it.  Let's remove that and see if
> someone comes back crying.

Just to be clear: I added the (memq system-type '(ms-dos windows-nt))
test, whose purpose was to apply the "same" test locally as remotely.
And I think we should remove both local and remote tests, i.e. bind
`binary' to t regardless of any system-type or ange-ftp-host-type or
ange-ftp-binary-file.

        Stefan