Subject: Re: bug#7383: 24.0.50; end-of-line style on remote files

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 17:42:56 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think all this non-binary business in ange-ftp is inherited from
> pre-Mule issues.  So I'd be tempted to always use binary now.
>
>> And there are comments about it, like "Binary file transfers between
>> machines of different architectures can be a risky business.".
>
> I can't think of any case where a non-binary FTP transfer will correctly
> convert to/from the internal file-format, and where Emacs can't do the
> same or better.

I don't oppose, but given that I do not use MS Windows, I cannot judge
whether this change will harm, or not.

OK, let's change to binary transfer. Shall we remove the checks for
different systems in the code, or shall we default
`ange-ftp-binary-file-name-regexp' to ""?

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.