Subject: Fwd: bug#7383: 24.0.50; end-of-line style on remote files

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 12:36:03 +0200

[I'm forwarding some messages to the mailing list, because I
unintentionally replied privately.]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, May 4, 2011 at 11:32
Subject: Re: bug#7383: 24.0.50; end-of-line style on remote files
To: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 12:43, Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Maybe you play with `ange-ftp-binary-file-name-regexp' settings, for
> example set it to "".
>

Sorry for the delay. These days I had no access to the Windows XP box
where I reproduce the problem.  (BTW, at home I was unable to
reproduce it using a Windows 7 client and  Ubuntu 10.10 ftp server).

Well, if I do what you said ((setq ange-ftp-binary-file-name-regexp
"")), then the problem seem to disappear in the quick test I've done.

So now I wonder two things:

1. In what cases do we want to have text-mode ftp transfers when
working with remote files? Because, IMO TRT would be to always use
binary mode, i.e., always work with the file in its actual EOL format.
I think that is what users expect, don't they?

2. This bug report has showed that the modeline flag corresponding to
the EOL format isn't always correct. So I think this should be fixed
if possible, and if not, this limitation should be documented at
least.

Thanks for your time, Michael.

--
Dani Moncayo