Subject: Re: bug#73823: Old version of hierarchy.el still distributed by MELPA

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2024 04:52:50 -0400

Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 26, 2024 at 9:47 AM Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> okay but this is not an Emacs nor Elpa bug.
>
> True, at least from the perspective of who is to blame (which I don't
> think matters). But someone who cares about the package – and those
> people are presumably reachable in this mailing list – should ask
> MELPA to remove it from their archive. This is true every time some
> package makes it into Emacs and stops being developed at its original
> place. There's no way MELPA could magically find out about it.

Hi Augusto, I'm not against keep on discussing that on the list and you
can Cc whoever you think is useful, I just tagged the bug as "notabug"
and closed it as it's just not an Emacs bug :)

AFAIU there's noting we can do here to fix that, opening a PR to MELPA
is just the right thing to do for the ecosystem.

BR

  Andrea