Subject: Re: bug#7382: 24.0.50; lucid menu bar is all blank

From: Katsumi Yamaoka <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 21:56:26 +0900

Jan Djärv <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I installed Fedora 14 and compiled Emacs with the same configure options.

Thank you for verifying it.

> The menus are fine over here.

What font does `emacs -Q' choose for the `menu' face?  I got:

(face-font 'menu)
"-unknown-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-13-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1"

Though Emacs 24 displays no item text in menu, the font is the same
as the one that `emacs-23.2 -Q' chooses and it displays item texts
in menu.  Furthermore the following works in Emacs 23.2 but not in
Emacs 24.0.50:

(set-face-font
 'menu
 "-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--17-120-100-100-p-92-iso8859-1")

> Can you try starting emacs with -xrm '*faceName: none'?

It makes the menu bar display item texts properly with `emacs -Q'.
The result of (face-font 'menu) doesn't differ though.

> It could be a font problem.

Hmm...