Subject: 29.4; message-narrow-to-headers-or-head is void in mml-to-mime

From: Göran Uddeborg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2024 11:22:04 +0200

While working on debugging the VM package, I hit what I believe is a bug
in Emacs itself. To reproduce the problem, run the following steps.

1. emacs -Q
2. C-x b a <return>
3. C-x i b u g b r e v <return>
4. M-x m a i l - s e n d <return>

I attach the "bugbrev" file used above. (It is a very stripped down
version of a spam I got and tried to forward to Spamcop.)

What happens is I get the error message

  mml-to-mime: Symbol’s function definition is void: message-narrow-to-headers-or-head

My elisp skills are quite limited, but from what I understand, this is
triggered by the very long line in the forwarded message, which causes
mail-send to call mml-to-mime. The latter calls
message-narrow-to-headers-or-head but that is not available in this
situation. Shoudn't there be an autoload of that function too?

    (autoload 'message-narrow-to-headers-or-head "message")

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.43, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-10-10 built on
 4825182c94fc4195b65c80c30f523a16
System Description: Fedora Linux 41 (Forty One Prerelease)

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var --runstatedir=/run
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-cairo --with-dbus --with-gif
 --with-gpm=no --with-harfbuzz --with-jpeg --with-json --with-modules
 --with-native-compilation=aot --with-pgtk --with-png --with-rsvg
 --with-sqlite3 --with-tiff --with-tree-sitter --with-webp --with-xpm
 build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects
 -fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall
 -Werror=format-security -Wp,-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3
 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
 -fcf-protection -mtls-dialect=gnu2 -fno-omit-frame-pointer
 -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer ' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro -Wl,--as-needed
 -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs -Wl,-z,now
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-ld
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -Wl,--build-id=sha1
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-package-notes '
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig CXX=g++
 'CXXFLAGS=-O2 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g
 -grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection
 -fcf-protection -mtls-dialect=gnu2 -fno-omit-frame-pointer
 -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer ''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: sv_SE.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  isearch-fold-quotes-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/goodies/emacs-goodies-loaddefs hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/emacs-goodies-loaddefs

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug shortdoc help-fns radix-tree shell
pcomplete files-x grep dired-aux misearch multi-isearch mule-util info
cus-start cus-load vm-digest message yank-media gmm-utils mailheader mml
mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode flyspell ispell pp mailalias w3m-cookie textsec uni-scripts
mail-parse rfc2231 idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable
textsec-check rfc822 longlines w3m-form w3m-symbol w3m-bookmark vm-w3m
w3m doc-view filenotify jka-compr image-mode dired dired-loaddefs exif
w3m-hist bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-fb tab-line
w3m-proc w3m-util vm-save qp vm-pgg pgg pgg-parse pgg-def vm-rfaddons
wid-edit vm-pine vm-edit vm-imap utf7 vm-virtual vm-page vm-pop
vm-crypto vm-delete vm-sort vm-motion vm-minibuf vm-mouse vm-menu
vm-mime smime gnutls puny dig sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils vm-reply vm-undo vm-summary
vm-summary-faces vm-avirtual bbdb-com crm mailabbrev bbdb bbdb-site
timezone time-date vm-thread vm-folder vm-toolbar vm-window tapestry
vm-misc vm-message vm add-log comp comp-cstr cl-extra help-mode advice
flymake-proc flymake project warnings icons server cmake-mode thingatpt
rx rst compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring
which-func imenu flow-ctrl auto-complete edmacro kmacro popup finder-inf
vm-autoloads vm-vars vm-version vm-macro preview-latex
haskell-mode-autoloads emacs-goodies-loaddefs clang-rename
clang-include-fixer let-alist clang-format xml bbdb-loaddefs auctex
tex-site package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
gtk pgtk multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 699185 104417)
 (symbols 48 33000 0)
 (strings 32 184352 5399)
 (string-bytes 1 4742869)
 (vectors 16 122982)
 (vector-slots 8 2508097 92856)
 (floats 8 192 676)
 (intervals 56 49139 5618)
 (buffers 984 38))