Subject: bug#73813: 30.0.91; icomplete-mode keymap unusable in xterm for for/backward completions

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2024 15:27:19 +0300

> Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2024 05:44:16 +0000
> From:  Van Ly via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> The two keymaps "C-." and "C-," for for/backward icomplete-mode
> completions do not work in xterm where emacs is run without the
> graphical user interface.

lisp/term/xterm.el claims that C-. and C-, should be supported
starting from xterm version 216 if the modifyOtherKeys resource is set
to 1.  Did you try that?

> Perhaps, "C-s" and "C-r" could be used in icomplete-mode since they are
> received as "C-s" and "C-r" but carry the search for/backward meaning.
> The documentation says fido-mode uses the "C-s" and "C-r" keymaps.

You can bind commands to the keys you like even if by default they
stay unbound.  There's no need to make changes in the default
keybindings because users can bind keys very easily in their own local
configurations.