Subject: Re: bug#73813: 30.0.91; icomplete-mode keymap unusable in xterm for for/backward completions

From: Van Ly <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2024 14:07:00 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>
> lisp/term/xterm.el claims that C-. and C-, should be supported
> starting from xterm version 216 if the modifyOtherKeys resource is set
> to 1.  Did you try that?
>

The local xterm is version 372.  Merging the following .Xresources

  > XTerm*VT100.modifyOtherKeys: 1
  > UXTerm*VT100.modifyOtherKeys: 1

does let emacs receive C-, and C-. for icomplete for/backward completes
to work as expected in the xterm.

> You can bind commands to the keys you like even if by default they
> stay unbound.  There's no need to make changes in the default
> keybindings because users can bind keys very easily in their own local
> configurations.

>From the user's perspective, I recall using icomplete-mode first but
couldn't make the completion selector move in xterm,
icomplete-vertical-mode worked because C-n and C-p were received by
emacs in the xterm.

Having in the documentation the need for xterm version 216 or later
with setting "XTerm*VT100.modifyOtherKeys: 1" will help.

-- 
vl