Subject: bug#73812: closed (Re: bug#73812: 30.0.91; ERC 5.6.0.30.1: Customizing erc-modules loads ERC when starting Emacs)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2024 16:29:02 +0000

Your bug report

#73812: 30.0.91; ERC 5.6.0.30.1: Customizing erc-modules loads ERC when starting Emacs

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
73812: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=73812
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#73812: 30.0.91; ERC 5.6.0.30.1: Customizing erc-modules loads ERC when starting Emacs
From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2024 08:27:52 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],
>>   [email-masked]
>> Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2024 08:40:54 -0700
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> >> Apologies if I'm out of line in pressing the issue, but I'm driven by a
>> >> need to advocate for ERC's users, who've suffered greatly in the past
>> >> due to my cowardliness in similar situations [1]. As such, I would very
>> >> much appreciate a final verdict on this matter.
>> >
>> > I'd prefer to wait a little longer for any fallout of reverting this
>> > on master.  IME, two weeks is not long enough, as many people take
>> > several weeks to update their builds.  Emacs 30 is not going to be
>> > released tomorrow, so we still have time.
>> >
>> > Let's talk about this in two more weeks, ok?
>> 
>> Sounds good. Thanks.
>
> If no issues were reported on master due to this change, feel free to
> backport to the emacs-30 branch.

Done. Thanks and closing.

Subject: 30.0.91; ERC 5.6.0.30.1: Customizing erc-modules loads ERC when starting Emacs
From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2024 19:57:00 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Tags: patch

>From emacs -Q

1. $ mkdir /tmp/fake-home
2. $ echo "(custom-set-variables '(erc-modules ()))" > /tmp/fake-home/.emacs
3. $ HOME=/tmp/fake-home ./src/emacs
4. M-: (featurep 'erc) RET

Eli, can we add this patch to the release branch? It removes a single
line containing an autoload cookie that's new in Emacs 30. (I'm running
the check-expensive suite with the patch now.) Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.43, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-10-14 built on localhost
Repository revision: b87fda63dd4a29c3c28e235904405f2d6709239e
Repository branch: emacs-30
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12401002
System Description: Fedora Linux 40 (Workstation Edition)

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring comp-run comp-common erc derived auth-source eieio
eieio-core icons password-cache json map format-spec erc-backend
erc-networks easy-mmode byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile erc-common inline
cl-extra help-mode erc-compat cl-seq cl-macs gv pcase rx compat subr-x
cl-loaddefs cl-lib erc-loaddefs rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk
x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 166001 9858) (symbols 48 11695 0) (strings 32 30570 5080)
 (string-bytes 1 1067417) (vectors 16 19000)
 (vector-slots 8 192763 8903) (floats 8 35 1) (intervals 56 339 0)
 (buffers 984 11))

>From 560390753c087a8e0dd8e6e1d2803ff8fff4cf24 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: "F. Jason Park" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2024 19:32:16 -0700
Subject: [PATCH] Don't autoload erc-modules

* lisp/erc/erc.el (erc-modules): Remove autoload because it caused
customizations for this option to load the main library.  This reverts
the thrust of bb894845 "Teach customize-option about erc-modules", which
was added in ERC 5.6 and Emacs 30.  The motivation for the original
offending change was to allow new users to run M-x customize-option RET
erc-modules RET immediately after start up instead of M-x
customize-group RET, followed by an I-search.
---
 lisp/erc/erc.el | 2 --
 1 file changed, 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/erc/erc.el b/lisp/erc/erc.el
index 30641c2bd88..688d2f4b1ae 100644
--- a/lisp/erc/erc.el
+++ b/lisp/erc/erc.el
@@ -2263,8 +2263,6 @@ erc--sort-modules
       (cl-pushnew mod (if (get mod 'erc--module) built-in third-party)))
     `(,@(sort built-in #'string-lessp) ,@(nreverse third-party))))
 
-;;;###autoload(custom-autoload 'erc-modules "erc")
-
 (defcustom erc-modules '( autojoin button completion fill imenu irccontrols
                           list match menu move-to-prompt netsplit
                           networks readonly ring stamp track)
-- 
2.46.2