Subject: Re: bug#7381: 24.0.50; Provide a hook run when a window is selected

From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 15:53:50 +0100

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Any reason not to have `get-mru-window' in the trunk (I actually
>> searched for exactly that before resorting to the advice hack)?
>
> In general it's not very useful because the mru-window is usually the
> selected one (unless it was selected with NORECORD non-nil).  I use it
> only in `delete-other-windows' when the selected window gets deleted.

Oh! I misunderstood -- I expected it to return the most recently used
window other than the selected one... Well, as it is now it's not very
useful at all, indeed. :-|

>> (And I guess the hook proposal still stands as well, or are there any
>> arguments against that? One might want to do other things triggered by
>> window selection.)
>
> Can't you use `window-configuration-change-hook'?

I don't see how that would help, as the hook is not run when a window is
selected.

So I'm still stuck with the advice... I guess I could at least use your
`window-use-time' to manually sort the windows and select the one with
the next-to-highest value.

  Štěpán