Subject: Re: bug#7380: 23.2; Dead keys misinterpreted in gtk emacs

From: "Ian D. Leroux" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 18:38:05 +0200

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 11:13, Ian D. Leroux wrote:
> On Friday, November 18, 2011 1:03 PM, "Stefan Monnier"
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > > Where is FRAME_XIC (f) supposed to be set?
> >
> > In the x_window function, in src/xfns.c (there are 3 versions of
> > this function :-( depending on whether or not we're using Gtk or
> > some other toolkit or no toolkit at all).
> >
> > Could it be that use_xim is 0, somehow?
>
> use_xim is 1, but FRAME_X_XIM (f) is NULL when create_frame_xic is
> called.  As a result, the "if(xim)" test at line 2315 in xfns.c fails,
> xic does not get allocated, and FRAME_XIC(f) remains NULL at the end
> of the function.

The problem has now been identified: due to a configuration error in the
en_US.UTF-8 locale settings in NetBSD's default xorg installation,
libX11 was not loading the new callback based XIM apis.  Most software
was falling back to the older open/close api, and thus continuing to
support dead keys, while emacs gave up on XIM entirely and fell back to
XLookupString.  As far as I'm concerned, this bug can now be closed.

-- IDL