Subject: bug#7380: 23.2; Dead keys misinterpreted in gtk emacs

From: "Ian D. Leroux" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 18:56:30 -0500

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 11:57 -0500, "Stefan Monnier"
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Now, as to why this X11 key composition does not work for you. Could
> you maybe try to rebuild it and show us the output of "configure"? Not
> sure it'll help, tho.  We'll need either someone to be able to
> reproduce it, or you'll need to dig in the code, play with GDB to try
> and see what's going on there.  If you're up to it, you can try and
> place breakpoints near the call to XmbLookupString in xterm.c and
> single step there.  Normally, the dead-acute event should not escape
> from this part of the code: instead it should turn into "nothing"
> (just change some state somewhere either in compose_status or in
> "FRAME_XIC (f)" depending on whether that frame uses XIM/XIC), and
> subsequent "e" should in that same part of the code be turned into an
> "é" (so the Elisp code never even gets to know that this é was input
> as two separate key presses).

Thanks for the pointers.  I'll rebuild and poke around in gdb as you
suggest later in the week and report back any interesting findings.

Thanks for your assistance,

Ian Leroux