Subject: Re: [bug#73795] [PATCH] Add support for the bzip3 compression tool to automake.

From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2024 16:03:41 -0600

Hi Kamila - thanks much for the patch.

    % wc -c *tar*
    1885428 automake-1.17.0.91.tar.bz2
    1500817 automake-1.17.0.91.tar.bz3
    2456935 automake-1.17.0.91.tar.gz
    1641112 automake-1.17.0.91.tar.xz

That is an impressive compression ratio.

    LGPLv3-licensed

I searched for bzip3 on pkgs.org and it said the license was 
LGPL-3.0-or-later AND BSD-2-Clause. Which is good, if true, because
LGPLv3 is not compatible with GPLv2-only.
https://rhel.pkgs.org/9/epel-x86_64/bzip3-1.3.1-1.el9.x86_64.rpm.html

But main.c only says LGPLv3, so I'm not sure what to make of that.
Can you clarify? Not that it's a stopper.

Also not a stopper, but I just wonder, what is the relationship to
bzip3? It seems there is, basically, none.  I presume you are not Julian
Seward by another name :).  I don't understand the "spiritual"
connection, sorry. But it's surely too late to rename it anyway, so it
doesn't matter.

Thanks again,
Karl