Subject: [bug#73770] [PATCH 0/2] Add freedisksysrom

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2024 17:18:40 +0900

Hi Liliana,

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

> Am Samstag, dem 12.10.2024 um 22:09 +0900 schrieb Maxim Cournoyer:
>> This is a free BIOS implementation of the old Nintendo Famicom (NES)
>> that replaces the nonfree, firmware blob 'disksys.rom' (extracted
>> from the actual device).  It is useful with NES emulators such as jg-
>> nestopia.
> Perhaps we should add some dashes to make it "free-disksys-rom"?  I
> wouldn't split "disk" and "sys" despite the camel case, but I'm in the
> mood for kebab otherwise.

According to our naming convention (info '(guix) Package Naming'):

   [...] correspond to the lowercase conversion of the project name
   chosen upstream, with underscores replaced with hyphens.  For
   instance, GNUnet is available as ‘gnunet’, and SDL_net as ‘sdl-net’.

"freedisksysrom" is the correct name (camel case upstream names are
simply converted to lower case)

> More importantly, is it expected that users can just install the
> package and run with it or are extra steps needed to import it into jg
> et al.?

Currently when you run for example jg-nestopia via jollygood (from the
rgrf package), if you try loading a ROM that requires disksys.rom, it
will let you know where it expects to find it
('~/.local/share/jollygood/bios/disksys.rom'), and you must manually
copy/link such a file there.  I plan on making the integration between
jg-nestopia and freedisksysrom seamless in a future (upstream)
contribution to jg-nestopia.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim