Subject: Re: bug#73768: 'read-passwd-mode' can clobber user defined mode lines

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2024 11:18:46 +0200

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Martin,

>> This doesn't solve the problem of cascaded password input, but that's
>> another game.
>
> I would append another eye just as the current code does and remove one
> when the password has been read.  And whenever a password has been read
> make sure to hide passwords.  Ideally, we could also give at most one of
> the eyes (the left- or rightmost one) the visible status.  And to make
> everything foolproof we could make sure all eyes are removed as soon as
> 'minibuffer-depth' drops to zero.

I believe using cascade password input is a misuse. I cannot think of
any use-case.

And the situation isn't that bad. After finishing the inner passwd-read,
the password icon disappears. So what, everything else still works. We
don't need to support this edge case.

> martin

Best regards, Michael.