Subject: Re: bug#73768: 'read-passwd-mode' can clobber user defined mode lines

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2024 15:49:37 +0200

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael

Hi Martin,

>>> In either case, it would be nice to make showing the eye icon
>>> customizable by the user.  I found no way to do that.
>>
>> I'll see what's possible. FTR, non-graphical alternatives are already
>> defined in read-passwd--show-password-icon and
>> read-passwd--hide-password-icon.
>>
>> Could you pls give an example what you would like as replacement?
>
> Why can't you make that a full-fledged option 'read-passwd-show-icon'
> and initialize it to 'graphics-only'?

Because Emacs runs also in non-graphical environments.

> And why can't you make the icon
> part of the prompt with some clickable text or overlay property?  Think
> of users who turn mode lines off in some buffers at least.

Minibuffer indications belong to the modeline. And if there is no
modeline, you can always use TAB in the minibuffer to toggle between
password visibility. This is documented in the Elisp manual, (info
"(elisp) Reading a Password") .

Granted, it shall also be mentioned in the Emacs manual, (info "(emacs)
Passwords") . Will do.

> Thanks, martin

Best regards, Michael.