Subject: Re: bug#73768: 'read-passwd-mode' can clobber user defined mode lines

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2024 12:40:35 +0200

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Martin,

> One minor problem exists when using a stand-alone minibuffer frame.
> Clicking the icons never works because they appear on another frame and
> when you move the mouse there
>
>   (when (minibufferp)
>
> fails.  Basically, clicks work now iff the minibuffer window is selected
> and not if the minibuffer window is active as previously.

I've seen, yes. I have no solution now.

There are further problems like

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
emacs -Q --eval '(read-passwd "PWD: ")'
i n p u t TAB
M-: x x x
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

The inner minibuffer, showing "xxx", toggles its visibility when
clicking the password icon. I've extended the patch to check for
read-passwd-mode in local-minor-modes.

There will be other issues. But I still believe we shall push the patch
using global-mode-string to emacs-30, because it fixes some of the
problems. The rest must wait for the master branch.

> martin

Best regards, Michael.