Subject: bug#73766: closed (Re: bug#73766: 30.0.91; (documentation 'pcase) can take several seconds)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2024 14:30:04 +0000

Your bug report

#73766: 30.0.91; (documentation 'pcase) can take several seconds

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
73766: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=73766
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#73766: 30.0.91; (documentation 'pcase) can take several seconds
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2024 10:28:39 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Should we now close this bug?

Yes!

        Stefan

Subject: 30.0.91; (documentation 'pcase) can take several seconds
From: Yikai Zhao <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2024 16:02:04 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When `lsp-mode` is loaded, `(documentation 'pcase)` can take several
seconds to complete.

Apparently, it would iterate over all defined pcase macros (N), and for
each of those, `help-fns-short-filename` would iterate over all items in
`load-path` (M). Total time complexity is N*M.

In my case, N is about ~400 (defined in lsp-protocols.el) and M is about
~100 (I think it's a normal case?).

This is especially problematic since the `documentation` method can be
invoked by eldoc, which affects the responsiveness during editing.

--

Here's my profiler result:

        2713  86% - timer-event-handler
        2713  86%  - apply
        2707  86%   - #<native-comp-function
F616e6f6e796d6f75732d6c616d626461_anonymous_lambda_12>
        2707  86%    - eldoc-print-current-symbol-info
        2707  86%     - eldoc--invoke-strategy
        2707  86%      - eldoc-documentation-default
        2707  86%       - #<native-comp-function
F616e6f6e796d6f75732d6c616d626461_anonymous_lambda_17>
        2707  86%        - elisp-eldoc-funcall
        2707  86%         - elisp-get-fnsym-args-string
        2707  86%          - documentation
        2707  86%           - pcase--make-docstring
        2606  82%            - help-fns-short-filename
        2598  82%             - file-relative-name
         335  10%                file-remote-p
          27   0%                string-prefix-p

--

In GNU Emacs 30.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.22.30, cairo version 1.15.10) of 2024-09-12 built on 8afcf8f014b8
Repository revision: 9a1c76bf7ff49d886cc8e1a3f360d71e62544802
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.5 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/work/dist/AppDir --disable-locallisppath
 --with-native-compilation=aot --with-json --with-threads --with-sqlite3
 --with-tree-sitter --with-dbus --with-xml2 --with-modules --with-libgmp
 --with-gpm --with-lcms2 --with-mps --with-x --without-pgtk
 --without-gconf --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --without-tiff
 --without-imagemagick --with-gif --with-png --with-rsvg --with-webp
 --with-harfbuzz --with-cairo --with-libotf --without-m17n-flt
 --with-jpeg emacs_cv_jpeglib=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjpeg.a
 CPPFLAGS=-I/work/dist/AppDir/include LDFLAGS=-L/work/dist/AppDir/lib'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LCMS2
LIBOTF LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11
XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSDATA: /tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/share/emacs/30.0.91/etc
  value of $EMACSDOC: /tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/share/emacs/30.0.91/etc
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: /tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/share/emacs/30.0.91/lisp
  value of $EMACSPATH:
/tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/libexec/emacs/30.0.91/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=fcitx
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  sudo-edit-indicator-mode: t
  evil-vimish-fold-mode: t
  vimish-fold-mode: t
  diff-hl-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  flycheck-posframe-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  ligature-mode: t
  whitespace-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  hl-todo-mode: t
  dtrt-indent-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  tempel-abbrev-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  hl-line-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  global-evil-visualstar-mode: t
  evil-visualstar-mode: t
  evil-snipe-override-mode: t
  evil-snipe-override-local-mode: t
  evil-owl-mode: t
  global-evil-surround-mode: t
  evil-surround-mode: t
  evil-commentary-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/yikai/.emacs.d/lib/which-key/which-key hides
/tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/share/emacs/30.0.91/lisp/which-key
/home/yikai/.emacs.d/lib/transient/lisp/transient hides
/tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/share/emacs/30.0.91/lisp/transient
/home/yikai/.emacs.d/lib/editorconfig/editorconfig hides
/tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/share/emacs/30.0.91/lisp/editorconfig
/home/yikai/.emacs.d/lib/editorconfig/editorconfig-tools hides
/tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/share/emacs/30.0.91/lisp/editorconfig-tools
/home/yikai/.emacs.d/lib/editorconfig/editorconfig-fnmatch hides
/tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/share/emacs/30.0.91/lisp/editorconfig-fnmatch
/home/yikai/.emacs.d/lib/editorconfig/editorconfig-core hides
/tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/share/emacs/30.0.91/lisp/editorconfig-core
/home/yikai/.emacs.d/lib/editorconfig/editorconfig-core-handle hides
/tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/share/emacs/30.0.91/lisp/editorconfig-core-handle
/home/yikai/.emacs.d/lib/editorconfig/editorconfig-conf-mode hides
/tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/share/emacs/30.0.91/lisp/editorconfig-conf-mode
/home/yikai/.emacs.d/lib/use-package/bind-key hides
/tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/share/emacs/30.0.91/lisp/bind-key
/home/yikai/.emacs.d/lib/use-package/use-package hides
/tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/share/emacs/30.0.91/lisp/use-package/use-package
/home/yikai/.emacs.d/lib/use-package/use-package-lint hides
/tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/share/emacs/30.0.91/lisp/use-package/use-package-lint
/home/yikai/.emacs.d/lib/use-package/use-package-jump hides
/tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/share/emacs/30.0.91/lisp/use-package/use-package-jump
/home/yikai/.emacs.d/lib/use-package/use-package-ensure hides
/tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/share/emacs/30.0.91/lisp/use-package/use-package-ensure
/home/yikai/.emacs.d/lib/use-package/use-package-ensure-system-package
hides /tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/share/emacs/30.0.91/lisp/use-package/use-package-ensure-system-package
/home/yikai/.emacs.d/lib/use-package/use-package-diminish hides
/tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/share/emacs/30.0.91/lisp/use-package/use-package-diminish
/home/yikai/.emacs.d/lib/use-package/use-package-delight hides
/tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/share/emacs/30.0.91/lisp/use-package/use-package-delight
/home/yikai/.emacs.d/lib/use-package/use-package-core hides
/tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/share/emacs/30.0.91/lisp/use-package/use-package-core
/home/yikai/.emacs.d/lib/use-package/use-package-bind-key hides
/tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/share/emacs/30.0.91/lisp/use-package/use-package-bind-key
/home/yikai/.emacs.d/lib/compat/compat hides
/tmp/.mount_emacsXLI1Nd/share/emacs/30.0.91/lisp/emacs-lisp/compat

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug tramp-cmds loadhist doctor
devdocs-browser evil-collection-profiler profiler consult-xref
evil-collection-shortdoc shortdoc cus-start tabify descr-text
evil-collection-view view jka-compr evil-collection-woman woman
evil-collection-man man goto-addr magit-extras cl-print printing
ps-print ps-print-loaddefs lpr help-fns vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs
vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs evil-collection-vc-git vc-git bug-reference
magit-bookmark evil-collection-magit magit-submodule magit-blame
magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch
magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes
magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset
magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit evil-collection-package-menu
package url-handlers evil-collection-magit-repos magit-repos magit-apply
magit-wip magit-log jinja2-mode tramp-cache time-stamp bpftrace-mode
expand-region yaml-mode-expansions text-mode-expansions
cc-mode-expansions python-el-fgallina-expansions js-mode-expansions
html-mode-expansions css-mode-expansions er-basic-expansions
expand-region-core expand-region-custom pr-review-search css-mode
sgml-mode facemenu evil-collection-eww eww mm-url evil-collection-gnus
gnus nnheader range typescript-ts-mode sudo-edit ebuild-mode skeleton
autoinsert lsp-haskell haskell-mode haskell-cabal haskell-utils
haskell-font-lock haskell-indentation haskell-string
haskell-sort-imports haskell-lexeme haskell-align-imports
haskell-complete-module haskell-ghc-support flymake-proc
evil-collection-flymake flymake etags fileloop generator dabbrev
haskell-customize lsp-pyright lsp-mode lsp-protocol spinner lv inline ht
evil-vimish-fold vimish-fold f s git-gutter-fringe fringe-helper
git-gutter evil-collection-diff-hl diff-hl evil-collection-log-view
log-view evil-collection-vc-dir vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher projectile
evil-collection-grep grep ibuf-ext evil-collection-ibuffer ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs flycheck-posframe posframe flycheck-google-cpplint
evil-collection-flycheck flycheck ligature whitespace elec-pair hl-todo
dtrt-indent company-keywords company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-files make-mode evil-collection-sh-script sh-script executable
evil-collection-cmake-mode cmake-mode rst js c-ts-common
evil-collection-yaml-mode yaml-mode vertico-directory windmove tempel
company-abbrev company-emoji company-emoji-list company-capf company
orderless bazel evil-collection-xref xref which-func testcover
evil-collection-edebug edebug evil-collection-debug debug backtrace
evil-collection-python python treesit project evil-collection-imenu
imenu ffap protobuf-mode cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
jsonnet-mode smie conf-mode url-queue textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping
ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check pr-review pr-review-render
shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom pr-review-action magit-diff
smerge-mode diff evil-collection-diff-mode diff-mode track-changes
git-commit evil-collection-log-edit log-edit message sendmail yank-media
evil-collection-dired dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec
evil-collection-epa epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util
add-log magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin magit-transient
magit-process with-editor magit-mode transient browse-url benchmark
magit-git magit-base crm pr-review-input evil-collection-markdown-mode
markdown-mode evil-collection-outline noutline outline mule-util pulse
mail-utils network-stream url-cache hl-line display-line-numbers
pr-review-notification pr-review-listview pr-review-api ghub-graphql
treepy gsexp ghub url-http mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap let-alist gnutls puny pr-review-common
evil-collection-magit-section magit-section dash recentf tree-widget
wid-edit evil-collection-consult consult cursor-sensor time pixel-scroll
cua-base auth-source-pass url-parse url-vars server fcitx dbus xml
winner evil-collection-vterm vterm evil-collection-bookmark bookmark pp
face-remap evil-collection-compile compile text-property-search
evil-collection-term term disp-table ehelp find-func vterm-module
term/xterm xterm cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
google-c-style midnight diary-lib diary-loaddefs
evil-collection-calendar cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs autorevert
filenotify saveplace tramp-sh tramp trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-message tramp-compat xdg shell pcomplete evil-collection-comint
comint ansi-osc parse-time iso8601 time-date auth-source eieio
eieio-core password-cache json map ansi-color tramp-loaddefs cus-load
evil-collection-vertico vertico compat solarized-light-theme
solarized-theme solarized solarized-faces color
evil-collection-which-key which-key fringe-scale switch-buffer-functions
evil-visualstar evil-snipe evil-owl format-spec evil-surround
evil-commentary evil-commentary-integration
evil-collection-tabulated-list evil-collection-tab-bar
evil-collection-simple evil-collection-replace
evil-collection-process-menu evil-collection-kmacro evil-collection-info
evil-collection-indent evil-collection-help evil-collection-elisp-mode
evil-collection-eldoc evil-collection-buff-menu evil-collection annalist
evil evil-integration evil-maps evil-commands evil-digraphs reveal
evil-jumps evil-command-window evil-types evil-search evil-ex
evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core advice evil-common
thingatpt rect evil-vars ring edmacro kmacro byte-opt delight comp-run
use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core
yaml-mode-autoloads xonsh-mode-autoloads with-editor-autoloads
which-key-autoloads wgrep-autoloads vterm-autoloads vimrc-mode-autoloads
vimish-fold-autoloads vertico-autoloads use-package-autoloads
treesit-auto-autoloads treepy-autoloads transient-autoloads
tempel-autoloads switch-buffer-functions-autoloads suggest-autoloads
sudo-edit-autoloads spinner-autoloads solarized-theme-autoloads
s-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads rg-autoloads rainbow-mode-autoloads
pydoc-autoloads protobuf-mode-autoloads projectile-autoloads
pr-review-autoloads posframe-autoloads popup-autoloads
pkg-info-autoloads php-mode-autoloads package-lint-autoloads
org2elcomment-autoloads org-tree-slide-autoloads orderless-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads magit-autoloads lv-autoloads lua-mode-autoloads
lsp-pyright-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads lsp-haskell-autoloads
loop-autoloads llama-autoloads ligature-autoloads kotlin-mode-autoloads
just-mode-autoloads jsonnet-mode-autoloads jinja2-mode-autoloads
ht-autoloads hl-todo-autoloads haskell-mode-autoloads
groovy-mode-autoloads gptel-autoloads goto-chg-autoloads
google-c-style-autoloads go-mode-autoloads gn-mode-autoloads
git-link-autoloads git-gutter-fringe-autoloads git-gutter-autoloads
ghub-autoloads fringe-helper-autoloads flycheck-posframe-autoloads
flycheck-package-autoloads flycheck-google-cpplint-autoloads
flycheck-autoloads fish-mode-autoloads fcitx-autoloads f-autoloads
explain-pause-mode-autoloads expand-region-autoloads
exec-path-from-shell-autoloads evil-visualstar-autoloads
evil-vimish-fold-autoloads evil-surround-autoloads evil-snipe-autoloads
evil-owl-autoloads evil-commentary-autoloads evil-collection-autoloads
evil-autoloads epl-autoloads epkg-autoloads embark-autoloads
emacsql-autoloads emacs-fringe-scale-autoloads editorconfig-autoloads
ebuild-mode-autoloads dumb-jump-autoloads dtrt-indent-autoloads
dockerfile-mode-autoloads diff-hl-autoloads devdocs-browser-autoloads
delight-autoloads dash-autoloads cuda-mode-autoloads copilot-autoloads
consult-flycheck-autoloads consult-autoloads compat-autoloads
company-emoji-autoloads company-autoloads codeium-autoloads cl-macs
cmake-mode-autoloads closql-autoloads bpftrace-mode-autoloads
borg-autoloads bazel-autoloads avy-autoloads annalist-autoloads
add-node-modules-path-autoloads borg loaddefs-gen generate-lisp-file
lisp-mnt radix-tree pcase info comp cl-seq comp-cstr cl-extra help-mode
comp-common warnings icons subr-x rx gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp
byte-compile rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1185831 1011558) (symbols 48 67125 23)
 (strings 32 316477 39434) (string-bytes 1 10307989)
 (vectors 16 123279) (vector-slots 8 2358285 658163)
 (floats 8 1093 15048) (intervals 56 31071 5410) (buffers 992 56))