Subject: Re: [bug#73754] [PATCH 4/5] gnu: sameboy: Install shared library.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2024 23:02:55 +0900

Hey,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> * gnu/packages/patches/sameboy-shared-lib.patch: New file.
> * gnu/local.mk (dist_patch_DATA): Register it.
> * gnu/packages/emulators.scm (sameboy) [source]: Apply it.
> [arguments] <make-flags>: Replace DATA_DIR with PREFIX.  Add LIBRARY=shared
> and FREEDESKTOP=1.
> <phases>: Delete install phase override.
> [native-inputs]: Add cppp and libtool.

This revision uses libtool directly in the makefile rules to generate
shared library.  While it works, it's been pointed to me there are
issues doing that, namely that libtool bakes its CC internally and thus
CC can't be changed later, and cross-compilation is probably broken as
well.

The usual solution to this is to use Autotools, but I'll see if the
libtool problems can't be fixed at its level first.  It's going to need
some time, so consider this series on hold from that effort.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim