Subject: bug#73736: 31.0.50; project and therefore eglot don't work without git

From: Ship Mints <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2024 12:10:23 -0400

Yeah, people can just override the default but I wonder how many people
will be surprised. I've been experimenting with .project.el files that
indicate common project contents that span different directory hierarchies,
basically a .project.el that sets a ("safe") variable so I can try to get
tooling to look across file systems rather than just assume one base. Still
working through that to gauge its utility vs. support tooling complexity.

On Sat, Oct 12, 2024 at 4:30 PM Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On 12/10/2024 17:32, Ship Mints wrote:
> > If you're really serious about this, I'd like to suggest ".project.el"
> > or "project.el" over an unadorned ".project" to avoid clashing with
> > third-party software that uses .project files or directories for its own
> > purposes.
>
> It's probably not going to be an Elisp file (with some code inside).
>
> And it's been mentioned in this thread that some other software uses
> file with this name in the project root. If there is data indicating
> that such dirs should not be recognized as project root in many other
> cases, we should of course reconsider. But from what I've seen in
> threads on Reddit and relater articles, people like this particular file
> name for this purpose.
>