Subject: Re: bug#73736: 31.0.50; project and therefore eglot don't work without git

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2024 01:29:29 +0300

On 12/10/2024 00:49, Jim Porter wrote:
>> I'm not a fan of adding a file that has no other purposes, but if 
>> people find this useful, no problem. For personal projects it 
>> certainly shouldn't hurt.
>>
>> Eric, Jim, how would you like this resolution? 
> 
> I'm fine with recognizing ".project" by default, since it seems we'd 
> just be adopting an already-existing practice. In addition to the cases 
> already discussed, it seems that the Eclipse and STM32 IDEs also use a 
> ".project" file at the project root for various things.

That's good to know.

> To turn it around though, are there cases we know of where we *wouldn't* 
> want ".project" to mark a project root? Maybe if an Eclipse IDE project 
> were in a Git subdir? (In that case, maybe ".project" should only be 
> checked for as a fallback if we couldn't determine the project using a 
> "real" VC file.)

That would require a new variable because 
project-vc-extra-root-markers's original goal was to allow sub-projects 
inside a VC repo (or projects outside of any repos).

At this point I'd rather recommend users who prefer a different behavior 
to customize this var to a different value, removing .project from it.