Subject: bug#73730: 31.0.50; Support for color fonts on MS-Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2024 06:36:55 +0300

> Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2024 23:50:00 +0200
> From: Cecilio Pardo <[email-masked]>
> 
> It looks like DirectWrite can't handle .FON files. When I build emacs, 
> the fixed-pitch face, which uses the Monospace family, gets the 
> "Courier" font which we can't use.
> 
> I'd say that this wasn't failing before today's windows update, but who 
> knows...
> 
> Any pointers?

What happens if you revert commit 7eba90c12227 ?

If this fixes the problem, please look at the rationale described in
the commit log message and see if you get back the problem described
there, and in particular what happens with the faces requested by
info.el.  It is possible that the problem described there only happens
on XP, where there's no DirectWrite, in which case we could condition
Qascii_0 so that it doesn't get in the way.

But it is somewhat bothersome that .fon fonts are not supported.  Are
you sure this is true?  What does Internet search bring?  There are
example programs on MSDN which use DirectWrite, can you try them with
Courier and see if they also fail?