Subject: bug#73709: 29.4; Doc of `file-newer-than-file-p'

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2024 02:31:26 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm okay with adding examples that people think might be useful, if
> all we do is mention them without going into details too much.  To me,
> the 2 examples you mention sound almost trivial [...]

They are trivial but help to avoid the misinterpretation I had.  I agree
that "file modification [time]" is not much better than "new".

> Better idea about what?

About how to prevent a misunderstanding of the doc for people that not

already know the abstraction or intended meaning of "new" here.

> > And: Sure can you ask for my help, but, with all respect, please not in
> > such a way, Eli.
>
> Sigh.  Why do you have to interpret what I write in the worst possible
> way?  It's possible that my dry humor is sometimes too dry, but
> there's nothing other than dry humor in what I wrote above.  I'd
> expect everyone here would recognize that by now, but I guess not...

This is what you wrote:

> Very well, but please remember your opinions in this matter, because
> if someone comes up asking for more details about "last modification
> times" (perhaps even Drew himself, e.g. because someone asked some
> question on SE), I will defer to you and Stefan to deal with the
> fallout.

For me this is not funny.  Especially when mentioning Drew who you often
have arguments with.  "Dry, maybe too dry humor" looks like an euphemism
of "sarcasm" to me in this case.  At least like masked anger.  Humor
that is about others can go awry.

But maybe I just did not understand what was funny about that.

Michael.