Subject: Re: bug#73709: 29.4; Doc of `file-newer-than-file-p'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2024 21:20:09 +0300

tags 73709 notabug wontfix
close 73709
thanks

> Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2024 17:56:44 +0000
> From:  Drew Adams via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> Neither the doc string nor the Elisp manual (node File Attributes) says
> what is meant by a file being "newer" than another.  A guess is that
> this is about last file modification time, but one could think it's
> about file creation time etc.
> 
> Please clarify the meaning.

"Newer" means newer, in its literal meaning.  How this translates into
the file's attributes (if that is not obvious) is implementation
details.

There's no need to and no sense in "clarifying" in our documentation
the meaning of words which are used literally.

Closing.