Subject: bug#7368: Testcase

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 16:25:56 -0500

> After another debug session I see that there are 2 types of special windows:

> 1) A "softly dedicated" window is a window with 2 properties:
>   a) it is tied to a certain buffer, and when that buffer is destroyed
> the window is destroyed too;
>   b) it cannot be target of display-buffer.

> 2) A "truly dedicated" window is a window with 3 properties:
>   a) it is tied to a certain buffer, and when that buffer is destroyed
> the window is destroyed too;
>   b) it cannot be target of display-buffer;
>   c) it cannot be target of switch-to-buffer.

> Wouldn't it be more logical to have the following?

> 1) A "softly dedicated" window is a window tied to a certain buffer,
> and when that buffer is destroyed the window is destroyed too.

I think in general that would not be right (e.g. for my use of
soft-dedicated windows).  But I agree that display-buffer should
probably override the soft-dedication in the case where it would
otherwise have to create a new frame and the user has pop-up-frames set
to nil.

        Stefan