Subject: bug#73638: 31.0.50; doc-view: imenu index cannot be made for LaTeX PDFs

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2024 13:03:50 +0200

Visuwesh <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> Maybe it would also a good idea to use a :stderr buffer with
>>> make-process and put its contents into the imenu-unavailable-error.
>>> That way, chances are better we get the reason for failure delivered
>>> in bug reports.
>>
>> I do not think it is worth the trouble since only syntax errors are
>> likely to surface up in stderr which would be very unlikely.  If the
>> PDF file does not have an outline, there would be nothing printed by
>> our script so end-of-file error should catch that case.
>
> Actually, this wasn't quite correct I think.  We would have stray > in
> the buffer and read would return the symbol >.  I corrected that in
> the attached.

The patch looks good.  But during testing, it seems that the index is
always off by one page, i.e., the index for some section brings me to
page 117 but the section heading is actually on page 118.

I have that both with the Peter Atkins et al. book you suggested as well
as with own papers which didn't work at all previously due to #nameddest
references.

Bye,
  Tassilo