Subject: bug#73601: bug#73602: failed to compute the derivation for Guix

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2024 12:47:19 +0200

Hi Fabrice,

> Unfortunately my GUIX is still in a bad mood or worst, since I have
> troubles with all users now.

Oh!  It means something is incorrectly configured for sure. :-(

> The issue is not limited to the "pull", I have also a problem with the
> command "guix package -i hello":

Yes, that’s expected.  Because you have a tiny difference really deep in
the graph of dependencies, and that difference triggers a complete world
rebuild.

> / 'build' phasebuilder for `/gnu/store/3cc3xp9p4xdm1hkbxshcmwvk49vqg7jq-patch-mesboot-2.5.9.drv' failed with exit code 1

Well, the fact MES (bootstrap) does not build for you is another
problem.  Somehow, it is known that the full-bootstrap [1] is sensible
to parameters as hardware for example.  If correctly configured, you
should not build from the start but just download substitutes.

> I will continue to dig in a little, but I wonder if a complete
> re-install could be an option ?

IMHO, for digging a bit, I would try to catch the difference.  We have
two tools at hand: derivation and builder script.

For instance, let go back to the previous email.  If I read correctly,
you get:

  /gnu/store/jc3vgcsplqsim3na80b0n2iilna5j6gx-Python-3.5.9.tar.xz.drv

but I cannot scrutinize it since I am not able to locally reproduce
it. :-)  Could you please share:

  cat /gnu/store/jc3vgcsplqsim3na80b0n2iilna5j6gx-Python-3-Python-3.5.9.tar.xz.drv \
      | sed 's/)/)\n/g'

?  This will list all the inputs.  The first thing is to check the
fixed-output: you must have,

  /gnu/store/lb5b7svdmfj1ijnzrripsjcv0bhqzpwb-Python-3.5.9.tar.xz.drv

If not, ouch!  Then you should have 3 inputs:

    /gnu/store/38951a2gcwb4jyrwlzg634jfwkdih7m2-bootstrap-binaries-0.drv
    /gnu/store/ff107pg13nkarix7k9hgxxwx9cnn4602-module-import-compiled.drv
    /gnu/store/g08l2msvnivyi6x5nw52ak8n17sw9lzr-guile-bootstrap-2.0.drv

Which one is different?  None?  One?  More?  Based on that we can
restrict the space of research.

The other part is the script builder.  For me, it reads:

   /gnu/store/ykqckrxcmifvxz0nb58lv2drgd14l377-Python-3.5.9.tar.xz-builder

Is it the same?  If yes, we will focus on above.  If no, could you
attach the file?

Cheers,
simon

PS: Hum, I do not know why your reply is not visible by Debbugs… Anyway!
For the record and maybe the ease for referencing, here some information
I extract from my own inbox since I had been CC.

        Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
        Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2024 15:49:36 +0200
        References: <[email-masked]>
        In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>

1: https://simon.tournier.info/posts/2023-10-01-bootstrapping.html