Subject: Re: bug#73599: packages from store paths don't propagate propagated-inputs

From: MSavoritias <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2024 10:39:27 +0300

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice kirjoitti 2.10.2024 klo 21.22:
> Hi [explicitly CC'ing Ludo', I hope that's OK],
>
> I don't think
>
>    guix install $(guix build foo)
>
> is, or is expected to be, a supported way to install packages?  Packages have more metadata attached to them than store items.  I don't think that propagation is recorded in the Nix database.  Nor do I think it should be just to support this hack.

It actually is mentioned explicitly in the manual. 
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-package.html

from the link above:

Alternatively, a package can directly specify a store file name such as 
/gnu/store/...-guile-3.0.7, as produced by, e.g., |guix build|.

Sometimes packages have /propagated inputs/: these are dependencies that 
automatically get installed along with the required package (see 
|propagated-inputs| in |package| objects 
<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/package-Reference.html#package_002dpropagated_002dinputs>, 
for information about propagated inputs in package definitions).

There was an investigation yesterday at the xmpp room and that is how we 
discovered that the documentation has a bug. If we do not want to 
support it then this is just a documentation bug.

Personally i could go either way. I already updated the project 
documentation I have to reflect not to do this 
https://codeberg.org/Guix_Bechamel/collective/wiki/Updating-Packages#testing-the-package-at-runtime

MSavoritias