Subject: Re: bug#73538: [PATCH] Add notifications support to 'mpc'

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2024 14:11:58 +0200

john muhl <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi John,

> Well there are erc-notifications-notify, gnus-notifications-notify
> and org-show-notifications but none of those seemed appropriate
> for reuse by mpc.

There is alert.el in MELPA, and some other packages which use
it. Perhaps it could help?

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
/home/albinus/.emacs.d/elpa/archives/melpa/elpa-packages.eld
  96:  (alert :url "https://github.com/jwiegley/alert.git")
  97:  (alert-termux :url "https://github.com/gergelypolonkai/alert-termux.git")
  99:  (alert-toast :url "https://github.com/gkowzan/alert-toast.git")
3294:  (mu4e-alert :url "https://github.com/xzz53/mu4e-alert.git")
3600:  (org-alert :url "https://github.com/spegoraro/org-alert.git")
4312:  (rcirc-alert :url "https://github.com/csantosb/rcirc-alert.git")
4314:  (rcirc-alertify :url "https://github.com/fgallina/rcirc-alertify.git")
4954:  (term-alert :url "https://github.com/calliecameron/term-alert.git")
5310:  (weechat-alert :url "https://github.com/Kungi/weechat-alert.git")
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Yes, I would like to see alert.el in GNU ELPA.

> Rather than add a fourth implementation I removed support for
> everything except DBus. I’ll try to work up a patch for
> notifications.el that could be used in erc, gnus, org and mpc then
> we can revisit support for the rest. Does that sound OK or do you
> have another idea?

Perhaps they could be changed to use alert.el instead? In its
Commentary, alert.el says:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
;; There are several builtin styles, and it is trivial to create new ones.
;; The builtins are:
;;
;;   fringe        - Changes the current frame's fringe background color
;;   mode-line     - Changes the current frame's mode-line background color
;;   gntp          - Uses gntp, it requires gntp.el (see https://github.com/tekai/gntp.el)
;;   growl         - Uses Growl on OS X, if growlnotify is on the PATH
;;   ignore        - Ignores the alert entirely
;;   libnotify     - Uses libnotify if notify-send is on the PATH
;;   log           - Logs the alert text to *Alerts*, with a timestamp
;;   message       - Uses the Emacs `message' facility
;;   momentary     - Uses the Emacs `momentary-string-display' facility
;;   notifications - Uses notifications library via D-Bus
;;   notifier      - Uses terminal-notifier on OS X, if it is on the PATH
;;   osx-notifier  - Native OSX notifier using AppleScript
;;   toaster       - Use the toast notification system
;;   x11           - Changes the urgency property of the window in the X Window System
;;   termux        - Use termux-notification from the Termux API
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

> Thanks.

Best regards, Michael.