Subject: bug#73500: eglot: diagnostic location not always shown

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2024 16:32:36 +0100

On Mon, Sep 30, 2024 at 1:08 PM Federico Beffa
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> On 30/09/2024 13:21, João Távora wrote:
>
> On Mon, Sep 30,
>>
>>
>> From all your previous replies I expected these answers. Dismissing bug reports without making any serious effort to reproduce them just makes a disservice to your own and to the Emacs projects.
> I didn't dismiss you bug report, I simply couldn't reproduce. I'm sorry my performance and engagement has not lived up to be your standards. You're welcome to speak to my manager and recommend a pay cut from 0 to 0.
> Well, let's be honest.

Yes, let's :-)

> You didn't try seriously: did you install all required software? No.

Should I have installed a Nix Linux distro or ghcup distribution to
get exactly those versions?  I used my Archlinux package manager.
Seemed "serious" enough to me.  I installed a working version of
haskell-language-server which proved to be working correctly and
interfacing with Eglot correctly, sending diagnostics similar to the
ones you reported.

> You did see the logs and screenshots proving the problem?
> Yes, but arbitrarily decided that I was making things up,
> which is false.

I didn't say you made it up.  Why would you? I said the screenshot
you provided was not of Emacs -Q, which is plain to see.

Your Emacs -Q recipe is emacs -Q -l init.el` where init.el is

  (use-package haskell-mode :ensure t)

Did you run this yourself?  I don't think it will produce an Emacs
that has yasnippet, company, whatever WK is, a non-default font size
and possibly a lot more customizations. It won't turn on wombat-theme
as you mentioned (and note that a theme is also a potential culprit,
as it can run arbitrary lisp code).

And what do screenshots help anyway?? I didn't even request
screenshots.  I can't debug a screenshot.  Noone is doubting
your affliction is real, it's just that no one is obliged to stop what
they're doing IRL to help you either.

> You're probably angry due to the code lens thread.

Why on earth would I be angry about that?

> And, by the way, I also have and sometimes still do contribute to open
> source projects without any remuneration.

Good for you.

> That doesn't justify such a toxic behavior and answers.

Get yourself a mirror.  Accusing someone who has spent _any_ amount
of unpaid time analysing your report of not having  making a serious effort
is not a nice thing to do.

> Most of the time developers are thankful for bug reports, not dismissing them out of pride or whatever.

And I am thankful, which is why I thanked you for the recipe, didn't I?
I didn't ask for the bug to be closed, did I?  You'll just have to do the
investigation yourself or wait for someone with enough time or the Nix
system to do a better analysis.  Be patient, sometimes that helps.
(and not harassing maintainers also helps).

You can also follow my recommendation of using Emacs -Q.  I also
suggested you try out my version of Main.hs to see if you get the
underline  I see. You're free to ignore these suggestions but they are
the best I can do with the time I have available.

If that doesn't live up to your standards I'm very sorry, but ultimately
I don't care about what standard of technical support you think
you are entitled to as an Eglot user.

João