Subject: Re: bug#73500: eglot: diagnostic location not always shown

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2024 10:41:09 +0100

On Mon, Sep 30, 2024 at 10:19 AM Federico Beffa
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> A few questions:
> * have you checked the provided lsp*.log files which show that the diagnostics is sent?

Yes.  But I don't get that log, as I already showed.

> * have you checked the provided screenshots showing an exclamation mark in the fringe but no underlining?

These are not from emacs -Q so I ignored them. For all I know you may have a
(imaginary-bugs) in your init file. Or have a different setting of the
underlining face
to something that can't be rendered.

A screenshot of a clean Emacs -Q would have been slightly more useful (well
not really useful, but more interesting at least).

> * How do you explain the exclamation mark in the fringe which doess not appear if eglot is not enabled?

That's an odd question.  I don't, of course. Much as I can't "explain"
that grainy
footage that someone says they took of bigfoot.  Maybe bigfoot exists, maybe
it's just a far away hunchback person.  I'll have a better change of
"explaining" something once I can investigate it myself, and so far
I haven't been able to reproduce your sighting.

> * Do you also see the exclamation mark in the fringe on the line in question?

No, when I tried your Emacs -Q recipe I didn't see any diagnostics.  I
thought I
explained that.

> * Does "cabal run" works? Do you see the output? If not please provide the complete error message.

Eglot doesn't interact with cabal, it interacts via LSP with
haskell-language-server.
I can tell you I managed a successful interaction where the server in question
connected perfectly and analized the Main.hs program you provided.  When
Tweaking the program, I got some diagnostics.  As far as I'm concerned
witnessed  first hand in an Emacs -Q session, Eglot correctly underlines all
diagnostics coming from that server, which is not suprising to me, since
they look a lot like any other diagnostic coming from  any other server and
Eglot doesn't care about the provenance of diagnostics.

Also, I uninstalled everything haskell, it bloated up my system and I don't plan
on installing it again..

João