Subject: [bug#73494] [PATCH v6 1/3] services: activation: Continue on exceptions.

From: Z572 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2025 12:23:47 +0800

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Ludovic,
>
> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> Thanks.  I've pushed just this 1/3 patch so far.  We still need to
>>> understand why the use of shepherd-system-log-service hangs the jami
>>> service (dbus daemon), *only* when /run is mounted on a tmpfs (!).
>>
>> I missed that part of the discussion.  How do we know
>> shepherd-system-log-service is at fault?  Does Jami log over syslog?
>
> By trial and error (I assume?), Z572 discovered that if we replace

Thanks to ci.guix.gnu.org. I just checked the corresponding build. Jami
tests failed after switching to shepherd-system-log-service by default.

In the future, we should run system tests when sending patches for
improving services to avoid failures after merging without anyone
noticing

> shepherd-system-log-service by shepherd-syslog-service the hang goes
> away.  See the WIP patch 3/3 of this series that does this replacement
> and where the problem disappears.
>
> And yes, the Jami daemon logs to syslog by default with our current
> service definition.