Subject: Re: [bug#73488] [PATCH games v3 5/7] gnu: Add jg-bsnes.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2024 22:38:19 +0900

Hi,

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

> Am Donnerstag, dem 03.10.2024 um 16:25 +0900 schrieb Maxim Cournoyer:
>> * gnu/packages/emulators.scm (jg-bsnes): New variable.
>> 
>> Change-Id: If88a7bea0c87c8af8fce051f8bec891ff249449f

[...]

>> +(define-public jg-bsnes
>> +  (package
>> +    (name "jg-bsnes")
>> +    (version "2.0.0")
>> +    (source (origin
>> +              (method git-fetch)
>> +              (uri (git-reference
>> +                    (url "https://gitlab.com/jgemu/bsnes")
>> +                    (commit version)))
>> +              (file-name (git-file-name name version))
>> +              ;; XXX: Some source dependencies are bundled and are
>> not easy to
>> +              ;; unbundle due to the build system building an object
>> combining
>> +              ;; their sources directly:
>> +              ;;  - byuuML
>> +              ;;  - gb
>> +              ;;  - libcoco
>> +              ;;  - snes_spc
> If possible, file an upstream bug and refer to that.

I don't think that's too feasible; these sources are intended to be used in
source forms; they don't ship with any build system.  See for example
byuuML [0].  gb corresponds to the 'core' source files of SameBoy:
https://github.com/LIJI32/SameBoy; it doesn't seem possible to build a
'core' library from that, although its symbols are probably part of the
a sameboy.so library we could build as part as our 'sameboy' package, so
this could be a possibility.

libco is supposed to be removed at some point [1] and finally spec_dsp
appears to be a modified forked of the original spec_dsp.c and spc_dsp.h
(no build system), making it more source than library.

I've still opened an issue mentioning that it'd be nice to use more deps
from the system, and that it seems it'd be practical to do so for
SameBoy [2].

[0]  https://github.com/SolraBizna/byuuML/tree/master?tab=readme-ov-file#using-the-byuuml-library
[1]  https://gitlab.com/jgemu/bsnes/-/issues/3
[2]  https://gitlab.com/jgemu/bsnes/-/issues/6

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim