Subject: Re: bug#73484: 31.0.50; Abolishing etags-regen-file-extensions

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2024 22:05:30 +0300

> Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2024 20:36:47 +0300
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> 
> On 07/10/2024 19:05, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > So what is the conclusion from this?  Are you saying that the long
> > scan times in this large tree basically make this new no-fallbacks
> > option not very useful, since we still need to carefully include or
> > exclude certain files from the scan?  Or should I go ahead and install
> > these changes?
> 
> I think that option will be useful, but for better benchmarks and for 
> end usability as well, I think we need the N^2 thing fixed as well. 
> Maybe before the rest of the changes.

If this latter part is a precodintion, then someone else will have to
work on this.  I have the new option coded and tested (and
documented), but I don't intend to work on redesigning the core etags
algorithms to remove the non-linear behavior, that's a much larger
project which I currently cannot afford, sorry.