Subject: Re: bug#73484: 31.0.50; Abolishing etags-regen-file-extensions

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2024 01:30:55 +0300

Hi!

On 25/09/2024 22:27, Sean Whitton wrote:

> On Wed 25 Sep 2024 at 02:41pm +03, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> 
>> On 25/09/2024 09:21, Sean Whitton wrote:
>>>> We would probably also discuss etags' auto-detection and its list of default
>>>> extensions, during the next release's development.
>>> Okay, cool!  Should we have a bug to track this?
> 
> We want to replace etags-regen-file-extensions with enabling etags's
> hashbang detection support.  That requires disabling its Fortran
> fallback.

Thanks, a fuller plan would look something like this:

- Implement the --no-fortran-fallback flag in etags. Or an environment 
variable, or etc. Use it conditionally in etags-regen-mode.
- Revisit the default lists of extensions that etags recognizes, keeping 
in mind the recent thread we talking this about in - e.g. *.a seems out 
of place for ASM (someone more familiar with assembly dialects please 
feel free to correctme).
- Add new possible value t to etags-regen-file-extensions, and switch 
the default to it.