Subject: Re: bug#73484: 31.0.50; Abolishing etags-regen-file-extensions

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2024 01:08:00 +0300

On 07/10/2024 22:05, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2024 20:36:47 +0300
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
>>
>> On 07/10/2024 19:05, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>
>>> So what is the conclusion from this?  Are you saying that the long
>>> scan times in this large tree basically make this new no-fallbacks
>>> option not very useful, since we still need to carefully include or
>>> exclude certain files from the scan?  Or should I go ahead and install
>>> these changes?
>>
>> I think that option will be useful, but for better benchmarks and for
>> end usability as well, I think we need the N^2 thing fixed as well.
>> Maybe before the rest of the changes.
> 
> If this latter part is a precodintion,

I think we still could use the new flag, just not switch to it (no 
extension filtering) by default yet.

> then someone else will have to
> work on this.  I have the new option coded and tested (and
> documented), but I don't intend to work on redesigning the core etags
> algorithms to remove the non-linear behavior, that's a much larger
> project which I currently cannot afford, sorry.

Do you mind pointing at the places in the code where you already noticed 
non-linear performance coming from?