Subject: Re: bug#73463: [PATCH] Align columns with wide characters properly

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 14:57:03 +0300

> Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 02:23:29 +0200
> From:  "Thomas Voss" via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> For a while I’ve been bugged by some behaviour in Which-Key.  My font of
> choice is Iosevka — a font that is quite popular — and it chooses to make
> the ellipsis character 2-columns wide.  This is typically not a problem,
> but it causes Which-Key columns to appear misaligned as it truncates long
> descriptions with the ellipsis by default when the user configures it to
> use Unicode (and I rather enjoy the ellipsis).
> 
> This happens despite the following being in my init.el:
> 
>     (set-char-table-range char-width-table ?… 2)
> 
> After further investigation, this appears to be due to a simple usage of
> ‘length’ instead of ‘string-width’.  The following trivial patch attached
> to this email seems to have solved this issue.

Thanks, installed on the emacs-30 branch, and closing the bug.