Subject: Re: bug#73456: 31.0.50; X protocol error: RenderBadGlyph

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 23:39:31 +0530

[புதன் செப்டம்பர் 25, 2024] Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 18:34:37 +0530
>> 
>> [புதன் செப்டம்பர் 25, 2024] Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> 
>> > Why is it not feasible for you to run Emacs under GDB at all times?
>> > (Apologies if you already explained that once and I forgot.)  GDB
>> > generally gets out of the way as long as Emacs is running smoothly,
>> > and only kicks in when there's some sort of trouble.
>> 
>> I didn't explain it before so no worries there.  I ran a debug build of
>> Emacs for a ~month before and it was too slow for me to comfortably use
>> it (In particular, Gnus was painfully slow, and Org is a bit too slow).
>
> So the problem is not GDB, but the debug build of Emacs?  If so, you
> can run the optimized build under GDB as well, just be sure to use the
> "-g3" switch to GCC when you build, and don't strip the binary (i.e.,
> if you install the build, do NOT use "make install-strip").  The
> backtrace will be somewhat less informative, but it is usually still
> useful.

Thanks, it is reassuring to know that it will be useful still.  I will
rebuild Emacs and run it under GDB in the coming days.

> However, please remember to invoke Emacs in X-synchronous mode by
> using '-xrm "emacs.synchronous: true"' on the command line, when the
> issue is related to X protocol errors, because otherwise X errors are
> reported asynchronously, and it is impossible to know which code
> caused an X error.

Noted.