Subject: Re: bug#73456: 31.0.50; X protocol error: RenderBadGlyph

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 18:54:55 +0300

> From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 18:34:37 +0530
> 
> [புதன் செப்டம்பர் 25, 2024] Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > Why is it not feasible for you to run Emacs under GDB at all times?
> > (Apologies if you already explained that once and I forgot.)  GDB
> > generally gets out of the way as long as Emacs is running smoothly,
> > and only kicks in when there's some sort of trouble.
> 
> I didn't explain it before so no worries there.  I ran a debug build of
> Emacs for a ~month before and it was too slow for me to comfortably use
> it (In particular, Gnus was painfully slow, and Org is a bit too slow).

So the problem is not GDB, but the debug build of Emacs?  If so, you
can run the optimized build under GDB as well, just be sure to use the
"-g3" switch to GCC when you build, and don't strip the binary (i.e.,
if you install the build, do NOT use "make install-strip").  The
backtrace will be somewhat less informative, but it is usually still
useful.

However, please remember to invoke Emacs in X-synchronous mode by
using '-xrm "emacs.synchronous: true"' on the command line, when the
issue is related to X protocol errors, because otherwise X errors are
reported asynchronously, and it is impossible to know which code
caused an X error.