Subject: Re: bug#73456: 31.0.50; X protocol error: RenderBadGlyph

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 15:09:15 +0300

> From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Po Lu <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 11:33:09 +0530
> 
> [செவ்வாய் செப்டம்பர் 24, 2024] Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > Thanks, but the only way to debug these problems is to run Emacs under
> > GDB at all times, and run it in X-synchronous mode (as described in
> > etc/DEBUG).  Only then, when the rare problem happens, you will be
> > able to collect a meaningful backtrace which will point out the
> > offending code.
> 
> I figured this would be the case.  I saw that message yesterday, and
> today Emacs crashed with the same backtrace.  I hope I can find a
> reliable reproducer for the problem since the problem seems to happen
> once a few months so running Emacs under GDB all the time is not
> feasible for me.

Why is it not feasible for you to run Emacs under GDB at all times?
(Apologies if you already explained that once and I forgot.)  GDB
generally gets out of the way as long as Emacs is running smoothly,
and only kicks in when there's some sort of trouble.

If you are using the master branch for production work, I suggest to
run Emacs under GDB all the time, because the master branch is not
stable enough, and detailed information about crashes and aborts is
very important to us.

TIA