Subject: Re: bug#73455: 30.0.91: find buffer pretty print columns don't line up on 1080p

From: Van Ly <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2024 13:20:31 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 10:24:32 -0700
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > If you set the value of find-program to "gfind", I think you should be
>> > able to add only /usr/pkg/bin to PATH, and that should not override
>> > the original "find", "make", etc.
>> 
>> Would it be worth considering doing the same as we did for
>> `insert-directory-program`, i.e. the below?  I'm not sure if this would
>> be considered too opinionated for people that are very used to a BSD
>> userland.
>
> I'm not sure.  find-program is used in many places, most of them
> unrelated to alignment in "find ... -ls", so we are basically skewing
> everything for a single not very frequent case.  Why not leave that to
> users instead?
>

Perhaps BSD userland package maintainers will roll in and configure the
GNU Findutils option.  Maybe FAQ documentation to help the maintainer or
BSD user is enough.  Dired mode hints when the ls command doesn't handle
the dired switch option.  If the apropos-command could have a way to
find the find-program variable that will help the end-user.  The
describe-variable command will auto-complete "find" or "program" to
"find-program", could describe-variable dump a listing like
apropos-command?

Thanks.

-- 
vl