Subject: bug#73441: 31.0.50; Unstable proced-refine-test failure

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2024 18:46:03 +0200

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Laurence,

>> I can't seem to reproduce despite running them for a while
>> continuously.  Would you be able to share the contents of the Proced
>> buffer before and after the refinement in a flakey test run in
>> addition to the PID refined on?
>>
>> It might also be worth testing proced-refine works as expected for you
>> when refining by PID (in case the flakiness is hinting at some kind of
>> legitimate bug)?
>
> FTR, the issue happens more often (always?) on emba. gnu.org, see for
> example <https://emba.gnu.org/emacs/emacs/-/jobs/91334>. I'll try to
> hunt it in that environment, although I cannot promise anything.

I've instrumented proced-tests.el on emba. There was a failing
proced-refine-with-update-test. The *Proced* has shown the contents

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
  root    0 root     0  1467  1465  1465     1 20   0 29.6  1.9 R          1 123 MiB  73 MiB         -1  31161      0 5347527     116  17:33 07:58 06:40 01:17 02:34  01:39  00:55 26:53 ../src/emacs --module-assertions --no-init-file --no-site-file --no-site-lisp -L :. -l ert --eval (setq\ treesit-extra-load-path\ '("/root/.emacs.d/tree-sitter")) -l lisp/net/tramp-tests.el --batch --eval (ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit\ (quote\ (not\ (or\ (tag\ :unstable)\ (tag\ :nativecomp)))))
  root    0 root     0 63763  1467 63763 63763 20   0  1.2  0.0 S          1 2.5 MiB 1.8 MiB pts0 74781  41825      0  891367       3  17:55 00:03 00:00 00:02 00:23  00:16  00:06 04:57 /bin/sh -i
  root    0 root     0 74781 63763 74781 63763 20   0  0.0  0.0 Z          1     0 B     0 B pts0 74781     70      0       0       0  18:00 00:00 00:00 00:00 00:00  00:00  00:00 00:00 [getfacl]
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

That is, the first process is the parent of the second process, and the
second process is the parent of the third process. However, the test
assumes, that the first process is the parent of all following
processes

Does this information helps? Do you need more instrumentation on emba?

>> Thanks, Laurence

Best regards, Michael.