Subject: Re: [bug#73439] [PATCH 00/10] Update libreoffice to its latest version.

From: Nicolas Graves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2024 16:29:52 +0200

On 2024-09-23 20:35, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:

> Am Montag, dem 23.09.2024 um 14:15 +0200 schrieb Nicolas Graves:
>> This patch series updates libreoffice to its latest version. I used
>> local builds of derivations with ccache
>> (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/68315) to test developping and updating
>> a big package incrementally. Some commits can be squashed, but I
>> think we should at least keep separate 24.2.0.3, 24.2.6.2, 24.8.1.2.
>> It also adds an updater for the libreoffice package.
> Why those steps?  Should we perhaps have multiple packages with some
> older versions for the time being?

24.2.0.3 is a big update which adds packages and substitutions, I think
it's good to keep those changes in one commit.

On the libreoffice website, they have only two libreoffice downloads:
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download-libreoffice

24.8.1.2 is the current stable release
24.2.6.2 is the previous stable release (~= LTS)

I don't see libreoffice bringing tremendous changes from version to
version, I'm not sure having two versions is necessary.

That said, it is very doable to have two with a -lts version.

>
>> Nicolas Graves (10):
>>   import: Add %libreoffice-updater.
> LGTM
>>   gnu: libreoffice: Update to 24.2.0.3.
>>   gnu: libreoffice: Update to 24.2.1.2.
>>   gnu: libreoffice: Update to 24.2.2.2.
>>   gnu: libreoffice: Update to 24.2.3.2.
>>   gnu: libreoffice: Update to 24.2.4.2.
>>   gnu: libreoffice: Update to 24.2.5.2.
>>   gnu: libreoffice: Update to 24.2.6.2.
>>   gnu: libreoffice: Update to 24.8.1.2.
>>   gnu: hunspell-dictionaries: Update to  24.8.1.2.
> As noted in the comment hunspell and libreoffice ought to be kept in
> sync.  IIUC, this would mean updating hunspell-dictionaries in lockstep
> with libreoffice on those intermediate steps as well, no?

I haven't delved that deep in this but I think it's not necessary. The
reason is that they are mostly dictionaries whose updates are
uncorrelated to what's happenning in libreoffice itself but rather edge
cases in languages.  They are unlikely to break user experience, plus it
will be for only a few commits.  At the end of the series seems fine to me.

-- 
Best regards,
Nicolas Graves