Subject: Re: bug#73435: gzdoom package probably depends on non-free files forbidding commercial distribution

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2024 06:18:20 -0300

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]> writes:

>>After trying to delete all the files in GZDoom forbidding commercial
>>distribution, I was unable to get GZDoom working so it seems that these
>>files are a hard requirement of GZDoom and that GZDoom won't work
>>without them.
>
> This directly contradicts the link[0] you referenced.  Would you
> agree?

Yes, indeed

> Let's not jump to the conclusion that GZDoom must be removed.  Removal
> is the last step, not the first.

Yeah, sorry.

> That of course doesn't mean than you're wrong, only that upstream has
> a different opinion. Did you ask them about it? What did they say?

I can't find any way that would be suitable for me to contact them,
sorry

After looking for some time at
https://forum.zdoom.org/search.php?keywords=commercial&sid=8494f77771bc9efb089cfc0d688adf44
it doesn't seem to mention anything about the
non-commercial-distribution-only data

>
> For example, I wouldn't *expect* simply omitting the data files to
> suffice, if there's optional code that also needs to be --disabled.
> Did you look into that?

I studied the source code and didn't find anything that allowed the
disabling the requirement for non-free data, and didn't find any
--disable options for gzdoom itselff, but I don't know much about cmake
(which is used by gzdoom during building) so perhaps I missed something

-- 
All the works that are 100% my own, in my emails and elsewhere, are
libre (free as in freedom) and in public domain, see
https://pst.moe/paste/yhsdsh to know more