Subject: bug#7343: Making flyspell incredibly fast when checking whole files

From: Agustin Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 19:46:37 +0100

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 01:10:42PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Anyway, flyspell does try to take advantage of the above behavior by
> > checking whether a region is larger than flyspell-large-region
> > characters, and if so then it runs the spell checker as a separate
> > process with "-l".  But then it does something that, in many cases, is
> > rather ruinous: it takes every misspelling so identified, and passes it
> > *back* through the normal interactive spell-checking logic!  This is
> > because all of the real logic of what to do with a misspelling - how to
> > highlight it, how to search for nearby instances of the same word, how
> > to cache spellings, and so forth - is bound up in flyspell-word, so the
> > flyspell-external-point-words function, which processes the actual
> > misspellings discovered by flyspell-large-region, really has no other
> > choice but to call flyspell-word for each misspelling.
> 
> IIUC this sounds very good (tho it only speeds up flyspell-region and
> not flyspell-post-command-hook) and the patch looks good and small
> enough for inclusion as a "tiny patch".  Agustin, could you double check
> that it's OK and install it in the trunk if so?

Hi,

I also agree that Brandon's patch sounds very good, although I could not yet 
really test it. I hope to have time for this in no more than two or three 
days.

I will also add something in the docstring about the new option.

-- 
Agustin