Subject: bug#73426: closed (Re: bug#73426: [EPA Manual] HTML error suppresses a Lisp example)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2024 10:51:02 +0000

Your bug report

#73426: [EPA Manual] HTML error suppresses a Lisp example

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
73426: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=73426
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#73426: [EPA Manual] HTML error suppresses a Lisp example
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2024 13:50:11 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2024 21:12:41 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> 
> > Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2024 19:43:12 +0200
> > From: Thérèse Godefroy <[email-masked]>
> > 
> > While checking a few manuals to improve the main stylesheet [0], I
> > noticed a bug in the EasyPG Assistant manual: the first Lisp example is
> > blank! After fixing the markup, this example is displayed normally
> > (compare the attached screenshots).
> 
> Thanks, but the fix must not be in the HTML files, because those are
> generated.  We need to find out why Texinfo and/or the scripts we run
> after it produce this result, and fix that.
> 
> I will take a look when I have time, if no one beats me to it.

I've now reviewed all these changes (there were a lot more of them
than just the two you found), and discovered that they were due to a
dangerous editing by admin/admin.el which was already removed as part
of fixing bug#72761.

So I have fixed the affected HTML files manually, and I'm therefore
closing this bug.  Thank you for drawing our attention to this issue.

Subject: [EPA Manual] HTML error suppresses a Lisp example
From: Thérèse Godefroy <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2024 19:43:12 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

While checking a few manuals to improve the main stylesheet [0], I
noticed a bug in the EasyPG Assistant manual: the first Lisp example is
blank! After fixing the markup, this example is displayed normally
(compare the attached screenshots).

The MH-E manual has the same error. I didn't check the other Emacs
manuals.

emacs-manual.patch (attached) fixes the markup.

[ By the way, the MH-E manual says it was last updated on 2016-04-29,
but the copyright line is:
Copyright © 1995, 2001—2003, 2005—2024 Free Software Foundation, Inc. ]

Best,
Thérèse

[0] https://www.gnu.org/style.css
Suggestions to improve this stylesheet are appreciated.