Subject: bug#7342: 24.0.50; synchronised appearence of buffers in different frames

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 01:32:46 +0100

Am 07.11.2010 um 00:22 schrieb Drew Adams:

> Yes, they changed the behavior of S-mouse-1.  It now does so-called  
> text scaling
> or resizing.

I do see that a new font is used each time I increase or decrease the  
text font used:

  1. with my eyes (there are visible changes in the glyphs used which  
cannot come from scaling, particularly not in case of the used Lucida  
Sans Typewriter fonts)
  2. C-u x = tells me different fonts used
  3. lsof reports for for the case a = 224) initial frame, b = 225)  
another frame opened, c = 226) text size increased, d = 227) text size  
reset to default and then decreased

pete 224 /\ lsof -p 61698 | grep -i fonts | sort
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4      4073  18559873 /usr/X11/ 
share/fonts/75dpi/lutRS10-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4     14793  18559811 /usr/X11/ 
share/fonts/75dpi/lutBS10.pcf.gz
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4     14816  18559882 /usr/X11/ 
share/fonts/75dpi/lutRS10.pcf.gz
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4     50776   9399361 /usr/ 
local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/arkandis/libris/ 
LibrisADFStd-Bold.otf
pete 225 /\ lsof -p 61698 | grep -i fonts | sort
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4      4073  18559873 /usr/X11/ 
share/fonts/75dpi/lutRS10-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4     14793  18559811 /usr/X11/ 
share/fonts/75dpi/lutBS10.pcf.gz
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4     14816  18559882 /usr/X11/ 
share/fonts/75dpi/lutRS10.pcf.gz
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4     50776   9399361 /usr/ 
local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/arkandis/libris/ 
LibrisADFStd-Bold.otf
pete 226 /\ lsof -p 61698 | grep -i fonts | sort
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4      4073  18559873 /usr/X11/ 
share/fonts/75dpi/lutRS10-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4     14793  18559811 /usr/X11/ 
share/fonts/75dpi/lutBS10.pcf.gz
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4     14816  18559882 /usr/X11/ 
share/fonts/75dpi/lutRS10.pcf.gz
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4     15072  18559821 /usr/X11/ 
share/fonts/75dpi/lutBS12.pcf.gz
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4     15220  18559892 /usr/X11/ 
share/fonts/75dpi/lutRS12.pcf.gz
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4     50776   9399361 /usr/ 
local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/arkandis/libris/ 
LibrisADFStd-Bold.otf
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4     65932  18561222 /usr/X11/ 
share/fonts/TTF/Vera.ttf
pete 227 /\ lsof -p 61698 | grep -i fonts | sort
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4      3515  18559863 /usr/X11/ 
share/fonts/75dpi/lutRS08-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4      4073  18559873 /usr/X11/ 
share/fonts/75dpi/lutRS10-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4     13536  18559801 /usr/X11/ 
share/fonts/75dpi/lutBS08.pcf.gz
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4     14793  18559811 /usr/X11/ 
share/fonts/75dpi/lutBS10.pcf.gz
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4     14816  18559882 /usr/X11/ 
share/fonts/75dpi/lutRS10.pcf.gz
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4     15072  18559821 /usr/X11/ 
share/fonts/75dpi/lutBS12.pcf.gz
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4     15220  18559892 /usr/X11/ 
share/fonts/75dpi/lutRS12.pcf.gz
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4     50776   9399361 /usr/ 
local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/arkandis/libris/ 
LibrisADFStd-Bold.otf
emacs   61698 pete  txt    REG      14,4     65932  18561222 /usr/X11/ 
share/fonts/TTF/Vera.ttf

Libris ADF Std is used for the menus from the menu bar, Vera maybe for  
pop-ups, and Lucida Sans Typewriter as text font in all buffers. My  
version of GNU Emacs 24.0.50 is elder than this month.

The question is anyway: Why are two buffers in two different frames  
synchronised in their appearance? Is this really a design goal? And no  
bug? I see this behaviour since, say, GNU Emacs 23.0.60.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Almost anything is easier to get into than out of.
				– Allen's Law