Subject: bug#73415: closed (Re: bug#73415: 30.0.91; Emacs 30 build fails on Ubuntu 24.04)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2024 06:56:03 +0000

Your bug report

#73415: 30.0.91; Emacs 30 build fails on Ubuntu 24.04

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
73415: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=73415
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#73415: 30.0.91; Emacs 30 build fails on Ubuntu 24.04
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Mark Grosen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2024 09:32:59 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Mark Grosen <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 20:29:06 -0700
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> >> OK, so the decision is indeed not to try solving this on emacs-30.  I
> >> wasn't sure.
> 
> > That was my understanding at least, as we could not find a simple
> > fix/workaround with limited impact we could install in emacs-30.  Of
> > course if you have a different suggestion please voice it.
> 
> Thanks for the feedback. I know how to build more efficiently now, so my
> issue is closed.

Thanks, closing the bug.

> I will leave it to you if this warrants a line in the changelog or
> INSTALL.repo.

We might do that, but I'd first need to understand better your reasons
for using "make bootstrap" when building from a tarball.  The Emacs
release and pretest tarballs are intentionally prepared to make the
build as fast as possible, which is why all the platform-independent
files produced by bootstrapping (notably, the configure script, all
the *.elc files, and all the Info manuals) are included in the
tarball.  So why did you decide to bootstrap?

Subject: 30.0.91; Emacs 30 build fails on Ubuntu 24.04
From: Mark Grosen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2024 14:52:45 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Building Emacs 30.0.91 and later on Ubuntu 24.04 fails with a
"Pure Lisp overflowed" error. To workaround this issue, I used
the following build steps:

make bootstrap MYCPPFLAGS='-DSYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA=200000'
./configure
make MYCPPFLAGS='-DSYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA=400000'

Note that the 'bootstrap' build required a smaller extra size
on my system.

With these changes, the build succeeded and Emacs appears to
function normally. This was required on the current emacs-30
branch.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.91 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-09-21 built on sam
Repository revision: c1f2501f55d7454222389244512f732ac5e778b4
Repository branch: mg-emacs-30
System Description: Ubuntu 24.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --with-pgtk --with-imagemagick --with-native-compilation
 --with-tree-sitter --without-compress-install --with-webp
 --prefix=/home/mark/emacs'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  paredit-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  doom-modeline-mode: t
  popper-echo-mode: t
  popper-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  all-the-icons-completion-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  vertico-multiform-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  jinx-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  pyvenv-tracking-mode: t
  minions-mode: t
  amx-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/mark/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20240918.1138/transient hides
/home/mark/emacs/share/emacs/30.0.91/lisp/transient
/home/mark/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-1.8.0/theme-loaddefs hides
/home/mark/emacs/share/emacs/30.0.91/lisp/theme-loaddefs

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug mule-util minibuf-eldef facemenu
two-column flyspell ispell org-modern oc-basic ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe
ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime gnutls dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message sendmail yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win ol-docview
doc-view jka-compr ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi
org-journal org-crypt epa derived cal-iso paredit battery doom-modeline
doom-modeline-segments doom-modeline-env doom-modeline-core shrink-path
nerd-icons nerd-icons-faces nerd-icons-data nerd-icons-data-mdicon
nerd-icons-data-flicon nerd-icons-data-codicon nerd-icons-data-devicon
nerd-icons-data-sucicon nerd-icons-data-wicon nerd-icons-data-faicon
nerd-icons-data-powerline nerd-icons-data-octicon
nerd-icons-data-pomicon nerd-icons-data-ipsicon init popper-echo popper
tmr ellama vc vc-dispatcher eww url-queue mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util
mail-utils range llm-ollama llm-provider-utils llm-request-plz url-http
url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr url-gw plz-event-source plz-media-type plz llm cus-edit
cus-load casual-suite casual-symbol-overlay
casual-symbol-overlay-settings casual-symbol-overlay-version
casual-symbol-overlay-utils symbol-overlay casual-agenda
casual-agenda-settings casual-agenda-version casual-agenda-utils
org-clock org-agenda casual-bookmarks casual-bookmarks-settings
casual-bookmarks-version casual-bookmarks-utils casual-avy
casual-avy-version gptel-org the-org-mode-expansions embark-org
org-element org-persist org-id org-refile org-element-ast avl-tree org
ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src sh-script
smie executable ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces
org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol
org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs display-line-numbers
casual-re-builder casual-re-builder-settings casual-re-builder-version
casual-re-builder-utils casual-info casual-info-settings
casual-info-utils casual-info-variables casual-info-version
casual-ibuffer casual-ibuffer-filter ibuf-ext casual-ibuffer-settings
casual-ibuffer-version casual-ibuffer-utils ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs
casual-isearch casual-isearch-settings casual-isearch-version
casual-isearch-utils casual-dired casual-dired-settings
casual-dired-version casual-dired-sort-by casual-dired-utils
casual-dired-variables elint checkdoc lisp-mnt image-dired
image-dired-tags image-dired-external image-dired-util image-mode exif
wdired dired-x casual-calc casual-calc-symbolic casual-calc-variables
casual-calc-algebra calcalg3 casual-calc-financial casual-calc-stack
calc-undo calc-yank casual-calc-trail casual-calc-graphics
casual-calc-fileio calc-vec casual-calc-vector casual-calc-predicates
casual-calc-units casual-calc-trigonometric casual-calc-time
casual-calc-settings casual-calc-angle-measure casual-calc-rounding
casual-calc-random calc-comb casual-calc-logarithmic
casual-calc-conversion casual-calc-complex casual-calc-binary
casual-calc-radix casual-calc-labels casual-calc-version
casual-calc-utils casual-lib casual-lib-version casual-calc--calc
calc-math calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs dictionary
external-completion dictionary-connection dwim-shell-commands proced
dwim-shell-command view dired-aux helpful cc-langs trace cl-print edebug
debug backtrace info-look help-fns radix-tree elisp-refs relint osm
ready-player xr secrets dbus gptel-anthropic gptel gptel-openai devdocs
shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg xml dom which-key lsp-pyright
lsp-mode lsp-protocol network-stream puny nsm markdown-mode noutline
outline inline imenu ht filenotify f ewoc epg rfc6068 epg-config
tempel-collection tempel corfu orderless all-the-icons-completion
marginalia vertico-multiform vertico easy-kill recentf tree-widget
wid-edit buffer-move windmove expand-region yaml-mode-expansions
text-mode-expansions cc-mode-expansions python-el-fgallina-expansions
er-basic-expansions expand-region-core expand-region-custom dumb-jump
popup xref wgrep grep deadgrep spinner embark-consult consult embark
ffap avy flycheck-vale let-alist flycheck powerthesaurus jeison dash
jinx vterm-toggle tramp-sh vterm bookmark pp tramp trampver
tramp-integration tramp-message tramp-compat xdg parse-time iso8601
time-date tramp-loaddefs face-remap color advice find-func vterm-module
term/xterm xterm yaml-mode scad-mode cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs cmake-mode
thingatpt rst compile text-property-search make-mode
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode edit-indirect cl pyvenv eshell
esh-cmd generator esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module
esh-module-loaddefs esh-util files-x printing ps-print ps-print-loaddefs
lpr keycast all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material
data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons
data-alltheicons minions amx comp comp-cstr warnings comp-run
comp-common s re-builder finder-inf savehist ef-maris-dark-theme
ef-themes server pixelblaze websocket bindat ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult
ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util mp-mode transient
dired dired-loaddefs python rx project treesit term disp-table shell
pcomplete ehelp comint ansi-osc ansi-color use-package-ensure
use-package-core mg all-the-icons-completion-autoloads
all-the-icons-dired-autoloads all-the-icons-autoloads amx-autoloads
binky-autoloads buffer-move-autoloads cargo-autoloads
casual-suite-autoloads casual-agenda-autoloads
casual-bookmarks-autoloads casual-re-builder-autoloads
casual-info-autoloads casual-avy-autoloads casual-ibuffer-autoloads
casual-dired-autoloads casual-isearch-autoloads casual-calc-autoloads
casual-symbol-overlay-autoloads casual-lib-autoloads
cmake-mode-autoloads consult-dir-autoloads consult-projectile-autoloads
corfu-autoloads dap-mode-autoloads bui-autoloads deadgrep-autoloads
define-word-autoloads devdocs-autoloads doom-modeline-autoloads
dumb-jump-autoloads dwim-shell-command-autoloads easy-kill-autoloads
edit-indirect-autoloads ef-themes-autoloads ellama-autoloads
embark-consult-autoloads consult-autoloads embark-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads flycheck-vale-autoloads gnuplot-autoloads
gptel-autoloads helpful-autoloads elisp-refs-autoloads iedit-autoloads
indent-bars-autoloads jinx-autoloads js2-mode-autoloads
kconfig-mode-autoloads keycast-autoloads llm-autoloads
lsp-docker-autoloads lsp-pyright-autoloads lsp-treemacs-autoloads
lsp-ui-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads lua-mode-autoloads magit-autoloads
pcase magit-section-autoloads marginalia-autoloads
markdown-preview-mode-autoloads minions-autoloads nerd-icons-autoloads
nov-autoloads esxml-autoloads kv-autoloads orderless-autoloads
org-journal-autoloads org-modern-autoloads osm-autoloads
package-lint-autoloads paredit-autoloads pixelblaze-autoloads
plz-autoloads popper-autoloads popup-autoloads format-spec edmacro
kmacro compat cl-extra help-mode hydra ring lv jeison-autoloads
projectile-autoloads pyvenv-autoloads ready-player-autoloads
relint-autoloads rustic-autoloads flycheck-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads
scad-mode-autoloads shrink-path-autoloads f-autoloads soccer-autoloads
spinner-autoloads sx-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
symbol-overlay-autoloads tempel-collection-autoloads tempel-autoloads
tmr-autoloads transient-autoloads treemacs-autoloads cfrs-autoloads
posframe-autoloads ht-autoloads hydra-autoloads lv-autoloads
pfuture-autoloads ace-window-autoloads avy-autoloads s-autoloads
dash-autoloads vertico-autoloads vterm-toggle-autoloads vterm-autoloads
web-mode-autoloads web-server-autoloads websocket-autoloads
wgrep-autoloads info with-editor-autoloads xr-autoloads
xterm-color-autoloads yaml-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win touch-screen pgtk-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 893887 413249) (symbols 48 60492 53) (strings 32 245825 85410)
 (string-bytes 1 7249550) (vectors 16 97247) (vector-slots 8 1134736 131249)
 (floats 8 1560 385) (intervals 56 958 287) (buffers 992 12))