Subject: 23.1; esc-Q to reformat paragraph doesn't understand comment character

From: Jennifer L Sokoloski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 19:55:24 -0400

I upgraded my version of emacs, and now esc-q doesn't work.  It still
reformats the paragraph, but it doesn't understand that some lines
are commented out (with % characters).

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0)
 of 2010-03-29 on rothera, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10706000
configured using `configure  '--build=i486-linux-gnu' '--host=i486-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs23:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.1/leim' '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: LaTeX

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <left> <left> <left> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> a n n o u n c e d SPC d u r i n g SPC 
t h e SPC n e x t SPC 3 SPC y e a r s SPC <up> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> t h 
a t SPC a r e SPC r e p o r t e d SPC t o SPC e r u 
p t <escape> q C-x C-s <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <next> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> % <down> 
<left> % <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<return> <return> <escape> q <backspace> C-x C-s <down> 
C-s ; w <backspace> SPC w <left> <right> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> . SPC SPC W C-x C-s <down> 
<down> C-a C o m p l e m e n t a r y SPC <escape> q 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <return> C-x C-s <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> 
<send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Mark saved where search started
Saving file /scratch/jeno/data/Proposals/Funding/NSF10/nsfnovae.tex...
Wrote /scratch/jeno/data/Proposals/Funding/NSF10/nsfnovae.tex
Saving file /scratch/jeno/data/Proposals/Funding/NSF10/nsfnovae.tex...
Wrote /scratch/jeno/data/Proposals/Funding/NSF10/nsfnovae.tex
Mark saved where search started
Saving file /scratch/jeno/data/Proposals/Funding/NSF10/nsfnovae.tex...
Wrote /scratch/jeno/data/Proposals/Funding/NSF10/nsfnovae.tex
Saving file /scratch/jeno/data/Proposals/Funding/NSF10/nsfnovae.tex...
Wrote /scratch/jeno/data/Proposals/Funding/NSF10/nsfnovae.tex