Subject: Re: bug#734: 23.0.60; Interactively use a list argument to replace-string + missing documentation

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 08:06:51 +0200

Nikos Apostolakis <[email-masked]> writes:

> I learned from a post in gnu.emacs.help that the second argument to
> replace-string can be a list of strings.  In this case the elements of
> the list are used in cyclic order.  It appears that this feature can't 
> be used when the function is used interactively.  I think this can be 
> a very useful feature and should probably be accessible interactively. 
>
> Also this behavior is not documented in the doc string or the info page 
> of replace-string -- although it is documented in the info page for
> perform-replace function.

The underlying function supports a complex list of replacements, but
`replace-match' does not: It's an interactive-only function, and
entering a list of strings interactively doesn't make much sense.

So I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no